Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Coming of Wisdom with Time

I liked this poem a lot because I think the first line sums up the real truth of life. We may come from different backgrounds, races, sexes, upbringings, and cultures, but all humans are the same. We live for the same necessities and we all share the same emotions. The author speaks of all the "lying days of my youth"  which I think means he didn't realize how much people were alike. He lied to himself saying that he knew the truth of the world and he showed everyone his leaf. His little piece of the pie and his little ray of sunlight, but he never knew that it didn't matter how much he showed off himself to the world because in the end we are all together as one united species. His leaves are withering into a truth because I think that now he was grown up and he is realizing that there is truth in the fact of the first line of the poem. It was strange how it was only one stanza, just four simple lines and yet they are four very impactful lines. They speak the truth about people and how we act when we are young and the way we may act as we get older. Which I think also ties into the first line that we are all naive as people when we are young and then as we get older we all realize the truth.I liked the poem less the more I read it. I don't really know why, but it just didn't catch my interest as much the more I read it.

1 comment:

  1. I think because it's so short. You feel like you get it the first time and you're done. :)

    ReplyDelete